Take a self-guided walking, driving or biking tour of the area. Pass Christian is a city filled with history! Stop by the Pass Christian Historical Society located at 201 East Scenic Drive for more information. Call (228) 452-7254 for hours.
The Dixie White House, 767 East Scenic Drive: The original home on this site was built in 1854. It hosted two American presidents: former President Ulysses S. Grant in 1881 and President Woodrow Wilson in the winter of 1913-1914. The original home was destroyed in Hurricane Camille in 1969 and rebuilt, but later destroyed again in Hurricane Katrina. The current home, built in 2008, is a meticulous reconstruction of the original structure.
The Blue Rose, 120 West Scenic Drive : Built in 1848, the home was described in the 1978 National Register nomination form as the "most significant antebellum home" on the western portion of beachfront. It suffered major damage in Hurricane Katrina but has been beautifully restored.
The Randolph School, 315 Clark Avenue. In 1927-1928, Pass Christian’s first African-American school for students was constructed with financing provided through public funding and private donations including the Rosenwald Fund. Originally designated as the Harrison County Training School, the name was changed in 1939 to honor a former school principal, J.W. Randolph. When school segregation ended in 1969, the building was rededicated as the Pass Christian Middle School. After 2000, the building no longer served as a public school and was used as a Senior Citizen Center, Boys and Girls Club, and a branch office for Harrison County Human Services. Although severely damaged by Katrina and considered for demolition after the storm, the school was saved by a coalition of former students, community activists, and preservationists. Restoration efforts began in 2009 with funding from public and private grants. The renovated school is now used as a senior citizen center and for social events.
Pass Christian Municipal Harbor, Highway 90: The water passage in the Sound that reaches to the Municipal Harbor was named the Pass of Christian in the mid-1800s, when Nicholas Christian Ladner settled at Cat Island. It was called "Passe aux Huitres" by the early French explorers prior to the Min-1800s. Translation for the offshore "pass" was suitably named the "Oyster Pass". For hundreds of years, the numerous oyster reefs afforded a source of supply to the whole coastal region. In 1902, a Dunbar-Dukate seafood plant was started at the present site of the Pass Christian Yacht Club. Access to the factory was by way of a 1,000 foot length wharf, jetting from shore to plant atop pilings. At night, the smaller commercial boats would tie-up to each other creating "raft-docks" anchored to the wharf. This was the first semblance of a harbor before the mud flats were dredged.
Pass Christian Yacht Club, Pass Christian Harbor, Highway 90. Pass Christian was home to the first yacht club organized in the south; it came together at the old Montgomery Hotel on July 21, 1849. The club was named the Southern Yacht Club and later renamed the Pass Christian Yacht Club when the Southern Yacht Club moved to New Orleans. The current club was rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina and currently has more than 800 members.