Summer Camp Week: Food is Science Camp
June 26, 2017 - June 30, 2017
Address: 1600 Government Street, Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Phone: (228) 818-2878
Price: Members $190, non-members $200
A very interactive, hands-on summer camp for children. Children will work side by side with a professional chef and learn the science of food. Each day we will do a different science experiment and link that experiment to the menu we are preparing for the day. There will be a take home from each class to re-emphasize the lesson for the day at home. The importance of safety and healthy food practices will also be taught.
Instructor: Chef Danie, Culinary Arts Instructor at Gulfport High and restaurant owner
Ages: 6 – 10 (Younger ages will be considered)
Registration Deadline: June 19th
Clean up will be taught at the end of every class to ensure proper sanitary techniques are employed. Hand washing as well as a safe and sanitary way to clean the kitchen
CLASS ONE – Monday - The Science of Making a Simple Dough.
- Yeast and how it works
- Children will learn the art of making pizza dough and a rustic sauce as well as simple knife skills to cut up toppings for pizzas.
- EXPERIMENT – Science experimentwith yeast
- MENU – Mini pizzas with various toppings and breadsticks.
- TAKE HOME – Pizza dough and sauce for another pizza!
CLASS TWO – Tuesday - Egg-cell-lent Eggs
- Children will learn the importance of eggs in a balanced diet as a great source of protein.
- EXPERIMENT – Science experiment with eggs.
- MENU – Easy omelets. Deviled eggs and easy scrambled eggs and fresh fruit salad.
- TAKE HOME – Fresh farm eggs and Milk.
CLASS THREE – Wednesday - Simple Fresh Market Soup
- Children will learn the importance of eating whole fresh foods.
- They would learn how to make good food choices in any situation. They would also learn how to make a simple soup out of fresh veggies from the market.
- EXPERIMENT – Science of processed food Soda experiment.
- MENU – Fresh Market Soup
- TAKE HOME – A container of fresh soup.
CLASS FOUR –Thursday - Tasting without Smell
- Children will learn the importance of the sense of smell on the flavor of food and how to cook with aromatics.
- EXPERIMENT- Taste test without smell.
- MENU – Fresh lemon curd – Stuffed mini potatoes w/ herbed chicken.
- TAKE HOME – Fresh lemon curd.
CLASS FIVE – Friday - Making Pasta
- Children will learn the age old method of making fresh pasta and the easiest marinara sauce as well as the importance of picking fresh ingredients and eating correctly.
- EXPERIMENT – How to tell if eggs are good or bad.
- MENU– Fresh fettuccine pasta and an easy marinara sauce.
- TAKE HOME– Fresh Pasta