Mississippi Coast Audubon Society Birding Field Trips
December 7, 2019 - December 14, 2019
Recurring weekly on Saturday
Phone: (601) 909-5383
Time: Early morning, check website for exact times
12/7 Grand Bay NERR boat trip, Jackson County
- Leader: Mark Woodrey, Mark.Woodrey@msstate.edu (228) 697-0460
- (Limit 15 Participants) Our focus on this boat trip will be waterfowl, shore, wading and marsh birds. This is a great time of year for birding in the Grand Bay NERR/NWR with a high species diversity guaranteed.
- Place and time: 12:30 PM till about 4:30 PM. Meet at the Bayou Heron boat ramp at the south end of Bayou Heron Road (MAP – same road the Grand Bay NERR office is located on). The NERR/NWR office (6005 Bayou Heron Road, Moss Point, MS) will be open from 11:45 am-12:15 pm so folks can use the restroom, fill-up water bottles, etc. You must register for this trip and there is a fee of $30 per person. To register, contact Dr. Mark Woodrey (Mark.Woodrey@msstate.edu). First come, first served – capped at 15 participants, so sign up early!
- Conditions: Bring along some water/drinks and snacks appropriate for the field. Rubber knee boots or other footwear you can get wet and muddy are recommended, along with a good windbreaker to stay comfortable on the boat.
12/14 Moses Pier and Biloxi Beaches, Harrison County
- Leader: Lori McDonald, email@example.com, (228) 324-5226
- Winter is prime time for shorebirds, and this is a great time to be thinking about Christmas Bird Count and honing your ID skills. Lori will start the viewing at Moses Pier and may shift along the beach for optimal sightings. Plovers, sandpipers, terns, unusual gulls, and waders all possible, and we may get some surprises.
- Place and time: Jones Park Pavilion (MAP) 7:30 AM.
- Conditions: easy walk along beach, may drive between sites.