Leave the Car Behind and Browse these Walkable Gulf Coast Shopping Destinations!
There are a lot of ways to get in your daily steps on the Mississippi Gulf Coast – strolling the beaches, hiking nature trails while birding or just enjoying the sights, and shopping (yes, shopping!) With a number of walkable downtowns along the Coast, you can walk off last night’s seafood or BBQ feast while picking up art, antiques, clothing and other one-of-a-kind finds.
Bay St. Louis calls itself the “Mayberry by the Sea” because of the quaint, small-town vibe and welcoming locals. Put on your walking shoes and bring your wallet to explore shops and galleries without worrying about parking. Check out the Second Saturday Art Walk for even more to see and do!
- The French Potager may look like a tiny shop on the outside, but step inside to find a seemingly endless array of antiques, gifts and even a full-service florist. This small-but-mighty staple of any visit to the Coast has been voted the “Best of Mississippi” by Mississippi Magazine readers.
- Bay Books, an independently owned and operated book store selling fiction, Southern fiction, science, history, children’s, cookbooks, mystery, and more. It’s the perfect place to pick up the a page-turning beach read!
- At Gallery 220 sample a little bit of everything at a co-op featuring the work of more than twenty local artists with paintings, jewelry, pottery, photography, mosaic work and more in a historic art deco building perfect for Instagramming!
Pass Christian offers an opportunity to stroll through majestic live oaks at War Memorial Park’s, but you can also get your steps in with an on-foot shopping spree – all in close proximity to charming inns and restaurants with ocean views.
- Pass Books at Cat Island Coffeehouse is a great place to satisfy your reading and caffeine fix at the same time. With an ocean view and a wide selection of Mississippi authors, get your beach reading on without having to worry about the sunscreen.
- Variety is the spice of life in the Pass Christian Downtown Shopping District with an assortment of shops, as well as the nearby Pass Christian Olive Oils & Vinegars, P.C. Soap Company and the homey, old-time Martin Hardware Store.
- Tired of walking? Jump back in the car to check out Pass Christian’s flea markets and antique stores further inland!
Ocean Springs is the Coast’s largest walkable downtown and offers everything from designer fashion to fly-fishing gear and craft bears to drug store milkshakes.
- If a trip to the Walter Anderson Museum of Art has left you feeling inspired, you can start your own art collection in the Museum Gift Shop with works by local artists as well as books of the famed artist’s works.
- Chandeleur Outfitters is easy to fine. Just look for the giant mural of the fly fisherman! Head inside for everything your outdoor enthusiast heart desires.
- For more than four decades, Hillyer House has showcased pottery, jewelry, hand-blown glass and nautical designs by hundreds of Gulf Coast artists and craftsmen. With all this variety, you’d be hard-pressed to leave empty handed.
Gulfport is a shopping destination due to the Gulfport Premium Outlets, but the city also boasts a literal main street that runs from the beach to beyond the railroad tracks and is filled with shops, galleries, spas – even a brewery and a can’t miss popsicle stand!
- Triplett-Day Drug Company may look like it came straight out a 1960’s movie, but it’s a functioning drug store, soda shop and diner boasting the “best beignets on the Coast” and gift shop packed with Mississippi items.
- Step back in time with upscale, pre-owned fashions at Back on the Rack.
- Give your wallet a rest and cruise over to Fishbone Ally to stroll through wall-to-wall murals. This open-air art exhibition also plays host to events, festivals and film screenings.
Whether on foot, in the car or even by golfcart, check out all the best shopping the Mississippi Gulf Coast has to offer!