At 9 a.m. the factory whistle will blow to let everyone know we are open again, just like back in the day when the factories would call their people to work by blowing their factory whistle.
The re-opening will feature historical character re-enactments, including the Hermit of Deer Island, the Wreck of The Emma Harvey, the Founding Fathers of Biloxi's Seafood Industry, and many more.
There will also be free oyster shell painting for children, light refreshments and all visitors are invited to register to win one of the new framed Biloxi Schooner prints.
The Museum was established in 1986 to preserve and interpret the maritime history and heritage of Biloxi and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It accomplishes this mission through exhibits, educational events, and hands-on activities both outdoors and on the water. An array of galleries, exhibits and artifacts cover many topics; wooden boat building, catboats/schooners, shrimping, oystering, recreational fishing, the Joe Moran Art Gallery, environment/wetlands, charter boats, marine blacksmithing, the barrier islands, and a priceless collection of historic photographs.
One of the main features will be The NYDIA, a gaff rigged cabin sloop built in Biloxi in 1898, will be displayed in the Grand Hall with mast stepped and sails raised. Also featured is a timeline that covers from the first Indian settlements through current maritime history, which in all, tells the tale of over 300 years of history, culture, and heritage.
The Museum has brought life to local maritime history and heritage by replicating two 65′ double‐masted Biloxi Schooners - the GLENN L. SWETMAN and the MIKE SEKUL. Examples of living maritime history, the schooners sail the Mississippi Sound and waters of the north central Gulf of Mexico almost daily.