301 South Necaise Avenue
Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
Phone: (228) 467-7347
The history of St. Rose de Lima Church and school are interrelated and it goes back over one hundred years. In 1868, the first school in Bay St. Louis, MS for African Americans opened with twenty-four black children in attendance! It was a two-story white building, originally located on Second Street. On August 28, 1925, the school became St. Rose de Lima Church.
St. Rose de Lima is still an extremely active church and parish. Home to one of the best Southern Gospel Choirs in the country, and its altar features an extraordinary mural of an African Christ figure rising before a live oak tree.
Tours By Appointment Only. Admission: Donations Accepted.